Premises generally have to be completely unoccupied to qualify for Empty Property Relief.
The rate liability for most empty subjects can be relieved at the rate of 50% for a maximum period of 3 months, thereafter 10% relief will apply. Empty industrial premises can claim full exemption for 6 months, and thereafter 10% relief.
The Empty Property Rate does not apply to the following categories of property:
- Properties with Rateable Values of less than £1700
- Properties unoccupied due to death or insolvency
- Properties which are prohibited by law from occupation
- Properties which are under a compulsory purchase order
- Properties which have a Preservation Order, Listed Buildings and Ancient monuments
Please complete Section 5 below if you consider that your property falls into one of these categories.