Equality and Diversity Policy
The Equality and Diversity Policy describes how the council will better-address the needs of all its employees and all members of the communities it serves. The overall intention is to create a working environment where all forms of discrimination or oppressive behaviour are unacceptable.
As the major employer in the area, we recognise the need for an Equality and Diversity Policy. We are committed to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst our workforce. Our aim is that our workforce will be truly representative of all sections of society and each employee feels respected and able to give of their best.
Our Equality and Diversity Policy is underpinned by key principles:
- No-one is disadvantaged because of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation
- The differences between people are valued and good relations between groups are promoted
- People are treated fairly and with equal respect
- Informed assessments are made on the impact of policies and services
- People are involved in the decisions that affect them and encouraged to participate in public life
Successful implementation of the policy will depend on a partnership between us and the community and involves:
- Elected Members:
- Executive Directors
- Employees and staff representatives
- Providers of Goods and Services to and for the Council