CROP Support Planning

CROP - Background  CROP - Introduction CROP - Basics CROP - Benefits CROP - Support Read our renewable energy action plan Find the answers to some common questions

CROP Support

Funding Grid connection Legal advice Planning Training Community plans   

Planning advice 

PlanningMost but not all renewable energy projects require planning permission, some are classified as permitted developments so it is always worth checking with your local planning office to find out if your project requires planning permission or not.

Planning applications in Argyll and Bute are dealt with by either Loch Lomond and Trossach’s National Park Authority or Argyll and Bute Council.  You are strongly advised to obtain informal advice from your planning authority as early as possible and before proceeding with a planning application.

 Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park AuthorityArgyll and Bute Council
Area coveredLoch Lomond and the Trossachs National ParkAll areas of Argyl and Bute outside Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Boundary
Planning webpagePlanning advicePlanning and Building Standards 
Pre-application advice servicePre-application advicePlanning for firm foundations

Both authorities also have planning guidance and policy which will indicate the views of the planning authority in relation to renewable energy. This can assist you in determining what type of renewable energy might be appropriate and also where it might be appropriate. Planning applications will normally be decided in accordance with planning policy although in some cases other material considerations can also affect the decision made. 

 Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park AuthorityArgyll and Bute Council
PolicyLoch Lomond and the Trossachs Local Development PlanThe Local Development Plan
Supplementary GuidanceRenewable Energy Supplementary Planning Guidance - The Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) has been prepared to supplement and support the renewable energy policies of the adopted Local Plan 2010-2015.Wind energy capacity study - The study provides technical information which will be used to help develop the wind farm/wind turbine policies and a revised wind farm policy map.

You can view existing and proposed renewable energy projects on the Renewable Energy Interactive Map.

Wave and tidal projects will require consent from Marine Scotland. In most cases a Marine Licence will be required however Marine Scotland will be able to provide further advice. If your proposal also includes land based infrastructure, e.g. an electricity substation, you may also require consent from your local planning authority.

Planning Aid LogoSome community groups may be able to get assistance from Planning Aid.


Planning considerations

A critical element in the assessment of any renewable energy project, particularly wind, is its visual impact and its impact on the landscape as a whole.

As well as landscape considerations, your project will have to take into account of environmental designations - such as Sites of Special Scientific Interest - and protected species such as eagles, badgers and bats. To assist you in finding out if your site may impact any environmental designations Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) has guidance for renewable energy developers.

If your development will have an impact on residents nearby then you may require assessments regarding noise impacts, further advice is available from Environmental Health.