Getting Married Abroad

Getting Married in Scotland Getting Married Abroad Renewal of Marriage Vows Civil Partnerships Our Marriage Guide Mixed Sex Civil Partnerships

I want to get married abroad. What documents will I need to provide?

You should contact the Consulate/Embassy for the relevant country for advice on what documentation will be required.

If you are asked to provide a Certificate of No Impediment (CONI) and you are resident in Scotland, you can apply to your local registrar for this by submitting notice as if you were getting married in Scotland.  You should complete a M10 marriage notice form, and submit it with your birth certificate, proof of nationality, proof of address and, if you have been married before, your divorce decree plus the £45 fee to the registrar per CONI required.  The registrar will then be able to issue the CONI 29 days after submission of the marriage notice and fee.  The CONI is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

I am getting married abroad and require my birth extract "authenticated". How do I go about this?

An "authentication" can be provided by the National Records of Scotland for a fee. Please visit National Records of Scotland website.