Shielding and wellbeing

Lockdown restrictions are lifting from 26th April 2021 and advice for shielded people is changing - you can check the latest guidance on the Scottish Government website

Coronavirus vaccine

Information about the vaccine rollout and what to do if you need help getting to your vaccine appointment:

Check Coronavirus case numbers and data in your local area:

Public Health Scotland’s interactive dashboard now provides a map showing the number of cases in local areas, as well as trends for local authorities and NHS boards

Scotland is moving to Level 3 from 26th April 2021, and the advice for people who were shielding is changing – please check the latest advice for people who were shielded on the Scottish Government website

Level 3 guidance includes:

  • Continuing to limit meeting people outside your own household, and avoiding indoor public spaces
  • Follow the advice for the general population on shopping, but limit the number of times you shop and avoid busy times
  • If you cannot work from home, you can return to the workplace. Following regular and individual workplace risk assessments, your employer should make any changes needed to your workplace to protect you.
  • Children and young people on the shielding list can return to school, college or formal childcare. The only exception to this is if their clinical team has advised otherwise.

Visit for more information, or call the National Helpline on 0800 111 4000 9am-5pm. Read the latest questions and answers from the Scottish Government

Public Health Scotland has produced a full evaluation of the effectiveness of the Shielding Programmes. The full report is available and a short video summary can be seen below:

Priority access to online supermarket delivery slots

Anyone who was placed on the Shielding list by the Chief Medical Officer is entitled to register for priority access to online supermarket delivery slots.

If you have not already registered for priority access, you will be able to register now.

To register for priority access, the easiest way to do this is through the Scottish Government text message service – if you have already signed up this service, just text 1SHOP to 07860 064525 from your mobile phone. If you have not already signed up for the text message service, you can find details on how to sign up below. After you have done this, text 1SHOP to 07860 064525.

If you cannot use this text message service, you can register for priority access using our online form. You will need to have your 10 digit CHI (Community Health Index) number handy when you fill in this form (you can find this on any of the letters the Scottish Government have sent you about shielding).

If you cannot use our online form, you can call us on 01546 605524 to register for priority access – please select option 5 when you call, and have your CHI number handy.

You will need to already be enrolled with a supermarket for online deliveries to register for priority access, and it can take up to 3 weeks for your request to be processed.

These Frequently Asked Questions give you more information about the services, which supermarkets are participating, and who to contact if you are having problems.

Scottish Government text messaging service

The Scottish Government's text messaging service is available for people who were shielding to recieve the latest updates from the Scottish Government in the event of any new national or local lockdown restrictions, and useful information to help keep you safe.

You can sign up by texting your 10 digit CHI number to 07860 064525. You can find your CHI number on the shielding letter you have received. Please do not include any other information. The service will confirm that you are on the shielding list.

The Scottish Government will never ask you for sensitive personal information or your banking details. If you receive a suspicious text message, you can report it by calling Police Scotland on 101.

Advice and support for people with Downs Syndrome and their families / carers

Down’s Syndrome Scotland provides a range of services for children and young people, adults, family carers and professionals. You can find out more about Downs Syndrome Scotland's services, and get current advice on Coronavirus, shielding, vaccinations, and access Easy Read versions of their advice and information on the Downs Syndrome Scotland website


If you have urgent medical needs you should contact your GP or NHS 111.

British Sign Language videos are available explaining steps you can take to help avoid infection from coronavirus (COVID-19); what to do if you think you have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms; self-isolation and shielding advice and helpline information.