Licensing Standards Monthly Newsletter - September 2022

Covid Sense Signage Scheme

Covid rules and restrictions have been lifted in Scotland, but the virus has not gone away. Use the Covid Sense Signage Scheme to help protect yourself and others.

FIFA World Cup – Extended Hours Licences

The FIFA World Cup takes place this year in Qatar, between Monday 21st November and Sunday 18th December.  Screening of some matches in the UK will start at 10.00am and licensees who wish to screen these games but do not have a 10.00am start for on-sales of alcohol on their premises are advised to apply for an Extended Hours Licence.  Each extended hours licence has a tenure of one month and applicants should be aware that applications must be made at least 35 days prior to the event to be licensed.  

Licensing Board Festive Hours Policy 2022

As in previous years the licensing board has set the period during which extended hours will be considered.  Please be aware that Extended Hours applications must be with the Board at least 35 days prior to the date on which the extended hours event is being held. This timescale is to allow for statutory reports the Board must consider in determining each application.

Scottish Business Resilience Centre - What is a Phishing Attack?

A phishing attack is one of the most common cyber threats organisations faces today, and they are becoming increasingly sophisticated. In this blog, Ethical Hacker, Sarah explains what phishing is in simple terms and how you can protect yourself and your organisation from malicious phishing scams.

Gambling Commission News

The Gambling Commission has formally awarded the fourth National Lottery licence to Allwyn.

Following the decisions by Camelot and IGT to withdraw their respective appeals, and the suspension subsequently being lifted, the Commission has now entered into an Enabling Agreement with Allwyn. This means that Allwyn has been officially awarded the fourth licence and we can commence the transition.


Local News – from Argyll and Bute Council

Are you eligible for the £650 Cost of Living Payment from the Department of Work and Pensions? If you are and have not received your first payment of £326, you can let DWP know via an online form.

Short term lets licensing: The Scottish Government has introduced a licensing regime for short-term lets in Scotland. Find out if you need a licence.

Have your say

If you would like a topic on the theme of alcohol licensing included in the Newsletter please send a message to our inbox at

Previous Newsletters

We have a library of previous newsletters providing information and advice on various topics connected to alcohol licensing


Any questions? You can contact licensing standards or the Licensing Board team for further information.


The Licensing Standards service does not provide legal advice or opinion and the above information should not be considered such.  Any legal advice or opinion on licensing matters should be obtained from a licensing solicitor.