Licensing Standards Monthly Newsletter - March 2022

Coronavirus - Changes to Guidance and Regulations

Following on from the First Minister’s Speech to the Scottish Parliament on 15th March, here is the updated picture –

  • The legal requirements to wear face coverings on public transport and most indoor public settings will continue until at least early April given the current spike in Covid case numbers.
  • Remaining legal requirements for businesses and service providers to collect customer details for contact tracing, and to have regard to and take reasonable measures set out in Covid guidance, will end as planned on Monday 21 March.
  • From 21st March, the legal requirement for businesses, places of worship and service providers to have regard to guidance on COVID, and to take practical measures set out in the guidance will end.
  • People who have symptoms of COVID-19 will still be able to book PCR tests in the usual way until 30 April. From that date, test sites will close and people with symptoms will no longer be advised that they need to seek a test. The public health advice for people who feel unwell will be to stay at home until they feel better to reduce the risk of infecting other people.
  • People without COVID-19 symptoms will no longer be asked to take regular lateral flow tests from 18 April. The change forms part of the Test and Protect Transition Plan, which sets out how testing will become more targeted, with the aim of reducing serious harm from COVID-19.

The First Minister will further update the Scottish Parliament on Tuesday 29th March.

Coronavirus – Safer Businesses and Workplaces

In addition to the above,the Scottish government has published its Coronavirus (COVID-19): safer businesses and workplaces guidance providing advice on keeping staff and customers safe now that all restrictions have been removed (with the exception of face coverings at this time).

Coronavirus – Ventilation Guidance

The Scottish Government published its Coronavirus (COVID-19) Ventilation Guidance for the ventilation of domestic and workplace settings.

The provision of fresh air into indoor environments is essential to preventing the spread of COVID-19. By taking measures to increase the volume of outside air entering a building, such as opening windows, doors or vents, you can help minimise the risk of spreading COVID-19 to colleagues, friends, family members and customers.

As we move on to a new phase of the pandemic and restrictions and regulations are relaxed (see our January and February  Newsletters for details), it’s important to remember COVID-19 remains a public health threat, as we aim to live safely alongside COVID-19 if we can.  Here is a poster providing good ventilation advice that can be printed out and displayed in your premises.

Local News – from Argyll and Bute Council’s weekly news round-up

Voting at the Scottish Local Government election: The Scottish Local Government elections take place on Thursday 5 May 2022. Find out more about registering to vote and applying for a postal vote.

Census Day: This Sunday (20 March) is Scotland's Census Day. You should have already received a letter with instructions for taking part but if you need help or assistance call 0800 030 8308 or visit the Census website.

Keep in the Loop: Have you signed up to our Keep in the Loop Service yet? Register now and hear about service disruptions, consultations, events and much more, as soon as they happen.

Community councils: Your views are invited on proposals to allow community council meetings to be held remotely, and to be held by combination of remote and in person attendance.

Previous Newsletters

We have alibrary of previous newsletters dating back to May 2018 providing information and advice on various topics connected to alcohol licensing


Any questions? You can contact licensing standards or the Licensing Board team for further information.


The Licensing Standards service does not provide legal advice or opinion and the above information should not be considered such.  Any legal advice or opinion on licensing matters should be obtained from a licensing solicitor.