Licensing Standards Monthly Newsletter - July 2022


Covid rules and restrictions have been lifted in Scotland, but the virus has not gone away. Use 'Covid sense' to help protect yourself and others.

The Premises Licence

Licensees and premises manager must ensure their business is run in accordance with the premises licence; operating plan, layout plan and licence conditions.  Failure to do so could lead to prosecution and the licensing board reviewing your licence.  If you haven’t checked these documents in a while, now may be a good time to carry out a review.  The Licensing Standards officers are available to assist should you need to vary your licence.  In the meantime here is our Licensing Standards Information Pack for Licensees  which provides guidance on all aspects of alcohol licensing as it affects the licensee.

Occasional and Extended Hours licences

Applications for these licences must be submitted to the licensing board at least 35 days prior to the event to be licensed.  Applications received later cannot be guaranteed to be processed in time. Visit our Occasional Licence and Extended Hours Licence pages on the Council website for more information.

Distance selling of alcohol

Online sales of alcohol is a popular option for new alcohol licence grants or as an addition to an existing licence. Those considering online sales should be aware of the regulations covering such sales.

Licensing Standards annual premises inspection programme 2022-23

With the lifting of Coronavirus restrictions we will be contacting those premises to be inspected this year.  Through consultation with the licensee the inspection may be a physical visit; a virtual visit (where we link up with a premises via WhatsApp or other platforms); or a self-assessment (where the licensee completes the assessment, returns it to Licensing Standards and advice is provided as necessary).

The areas to be covered relate to the premises licence; personal licence; training of staff; alcohol authorisation; notices to be displayed; children and young person access; age verification; baby changing requirements; and minimum unit pricing.

Further advice on alcohol licensing can be found on our web page.

Local News – from Argyll and Bute Council

Be a business ambassador for Argyll and Bute:  To help keep spending local, support businesses and protect jobs, businesses across Argyll and Bute are being encouraged to give their backing to the successful Scotland Loves Local card scheme.  The council is now looking for Business Ambassadors to sign up to showcase their business and help promote the Argyll and Bute card scheme to an even wider audience. Whether already registered to accept the card or still to sign up, businesses can join the marketing campaign to spread the word about the initiative.

Short-term lets: Do you own or live near a short term let business? We are consulting on a draft policy for a short term licensing scheme, which will apply to self-catered properties including B&B’s, glamping pods and yurts.

Have your say

If you would like a topic on the theme of alcohol licensing included in the Newsletter please send a message to our inbox at

Previous Newsletters

We have alibrary of previous newsletters providing information and advice on various topics connected to alcohol licensing


Any questions? You can contact licensing standards or the Licensing Board team for further information.


The Licensing Standards service does not provide legal advice or opinion and the above information should not be considered such.  Any legal advice or opinion on licensing matters should be obtained from a licensing solicitor.