Licensing Standards Monthly Newsletter - January 2022

Coronavirus - Changes to Guidance and Regulations

Following on from the First Minister’s update to the Scottish Parliament on 18th January, and from 05:00 Monday 24 January, the additional measures aimed at stemming the spread of the Omicron variant whilst the vaccination booster programme took effect are to be lifted –

  • one metre physical distancing in hospitality and leisure settings and table service in hospitality venues will not be required and attendance limits at indoor events will be removed. Non-professional indoor contact sports will also resume.
  • Nightclubs can reopen and whilst the Covid certification scheme will not be extended at this stage, regulations will be updated to ensure venues cannot avoid the scheme by putting tables on dancefloors whilst still allowing dancing.
  • People will continue to be asked to work from home whenever possible, with employers asked to facilitate this. However, the Government will engage with businesses now about a return to a more hybrid approach from the start of February if case numbers continue to decline.
  • The guidance to keep social interaction at home and in indoor public places to a maximum of three households is also being lifted but given case numbers remain high, the public are being asked to be cautious and to limit contacts where possible, in addition to taking lateral flow tests before meeting people from other households.

Further baseline measures including a requirement to collect customer details in hospitality settings, the use of face coverings in public places and on public transport in addition to the current Covid certification scheme will remain in place to limit the spread of Omicron and reduce pressure on essential services.

‘Vaccine Certification’ 

The Vaccine Certification Scheme continues to regulate entry to certain venues such as nightclubs and other late night premises; adult entertainment venues; unseated indoor live events with more than 500 people in the audience; unseated outdoor live events with more than 4000 people in the audience; and any event of any nature which has more than 10000 people in attendance. 

The above guidance document contains a Q&A section where most queries are answered.

Business Ventilation Fund (Closing March)

The Scottish Government’s Business Ventilation Fund has helped businesses improve ventilation and air quality on their premises to help reduce the risk of coronavirus transmission.

The fund has allowed businesses to claim back costs to improve ventilation of up to £2500. Support has  targeted high-risk settings where people come into close proximity, such as hospitality and leisure sectors.

Applications are closing on Thursday 31 March 2022. For more information and to apply visit -

Business Ventilation Fund (

Business Support Funding

Businesses can find information about financial support packages at Coronavirus support for Businesses in Scotland - Find Business Support on the council’s website.

Collecting Customer Contact Details Remains High Priority

Collecting customer contact details remains a legal obligation for hospitality premises, and it is important that both premises and individuals co-operate with this requirement, as it is crucial to national efforts to suppress the virus. This measure forms part of enabling hospitality businesses to open safely, minimising the risk of the number of infections increasing, and reduce the risk of requiring future restrictions.

Licensing Board

Licensing Board meetings dates 2022: including cut-off dates for applications.

Local News – from Argyll and Bute Council’s weekly news round-up

Community Council By-Election: there’s still time to stand for election to Dunoon Community Council. Nominations close at 4pm on Thursday 27 January.


Any questions? You can contact licensing standards or the Licensing Board team for further information. 


The Licensing Standards service does not provide legal advice or opinion and the above information should not be considered such.  Any legal advice or opinion on licensing matters should be obtained from a licensing solicitor.