Licensing Standards Monthly Newsletter - August 2022

Covid Sense Signage Scheme

Covid rules and restrictions have been lifted in Scotland, but the virus has not gone away. Use the Covid Sense Signage Scheme to help protect yourself and others.

FIFA World Cup – Extended Hours Licences

The FIFA World Cup takes place this year in Qatar, between Monday 21st November and Sunday 18th December.  Screening of some matches in the UK will start at 10.00am and licensees who wish to screen these games but do not have a 10.00am start for on-sales of alcohol on their premises are advised to apply for an Extended Hours Licence.  Each extended hours licence has a tenure of one month and applicants should be aware that applications must be made at least 35 days prior to the event to be licensed. 

Minimum Unit Pricing of Alcohol (MUP)

Four years ago, on 1 May 2018, Scotland became the first country in the world to implement a minimum unit price per unit of alcohol, set at 50p per unit.  Introduced to address the overwhelming level of harm from alcohol in Scotland, minimum unit pricing (MUP) was expected to reduce deaths, hospital admissions and crime from alcohol.  Alcohol Focus Scotland, the national charity working to prevent and reduce alcohol-related harm, has been tracking the  MUP journey so far and looks at what’s next.

The Premises Licence Operating Plan

The Premises Operating Plan is a statutory document forming part of the premises licence and details how the premises will be run. The operating plan details sales of alcohol; times between which alcohol will be sold on the premises; the activities taking place on the premises; children and young person’s access; capacity of the premises (number of persons allowed on the premises  (on-sales) or the total alcohol display (off-sales)); and The Designated Premises Manager (DPM).  Failure to abide by the contents of the operating plan is a breach of the licensing conditions attached to the premises licence and an offence.


Training is a mandatory aspect of the licensing regime of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005.  There are two levels of training – Personal Licence training and Staff training.  Personal licence training is delivered by an accredited trainer and The Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holder (SCPLH) is issued after successful completion of the training.  Application can then be made to the licensing board for the grant of a personal licence.  A personal licence allows the holder to authorise the sale of alcohol and also act as the Designated Premises (DPM) for a premises.  Staff training can be delivered by the DPM or other personal licence holder or accredited trainer and must take place prior to alcohol being sold by the staff member.

Local News – from Argyll and Bute Council

Mull Campus: What would a new Mull school campus look like, if funding becomes available for one? The council is asking for islanders’ views on this question, as a key part of its work to bid for Scottish Government funding for Mull.

By-election Ward 2, Kintyre and the Islands: Argyll and Bute Council is holding a by-election to elect one councillor in Ward 2, Kintyre and the Islands, on Thursday 29th September.

New cashless parking app launches: Cashless parking is now available across Argyll and Bute, making it more convenient for residents and visitors to park and help support town centres and local businesses.

Are you eligible for the £650 Cost of Living Payment from the Department of Work and Pensions? If you are and have not received your first payment of £326, you can let DWP know via an online form.

Have your say

If you would like a topic on the theme of alcohol licensing included in the Newsletter please send a message to our inbox at

Previous Newsletters

We have a library of previous newsletters providing information and advice on various topics connected to alcohol licensing


Any questions? You can contact licensing standards or the Licensing Board team for further information.


The Licensing Standards service does not provide legal advice or opinion and the above information should not be considered such.  Any legal advice or opinion on licensing matters should be obtained from a licensing solicitor.