About the Business Start-Up Grant 2022
In addition to support and advice from Business Gateway, Argyll and Bute Council may be able to provide grant funding to help your new business to start up and establish. Grants of up to £3,000 are available, phased across three payments. The process is as follows:
- Applicants should submit their fully completed application form and any relevant supporting information.
- Applicants shall meet (by phone or video) with a business adviser from Argyll and Bute Council’s Business Gateway to discuss their application.
- If approved, Applicants will be awarded a grant of up to £1,000, based on the value of approved costs.
- 3 months after your first grant payment, you must submit evidence that your business has started actively trading.
- Accepted evidence of active trading will trigger a second payment of up to £1,000, based on the value of approved costs.
- 3 months after your second payment, you must submit evidence that your business continues to actively trade and provide evidence of how you spent your first two grant payments.
- Accepted evidence will trigger the third and final payment of up to £1,000, based on the value of approved costs.
The fund will close to new applicants on 31 December 2022, or sooner if funds are fully committed.
To apply for the Argyll and Bute Council Business Start-Up Grant 2022 your new business must be:
- based in Argyll and Bute
- micro, small or medium sized (fewer than 250 employees and less than €50m turnover or balance sheet total of less than €43m)
- ready to start actively trading (within 4 weeks of application) /started actively trading (within 3 months of application date)
- providing the equivalent of full time employment for you or a member of staff at the current Real Living Wage or above (or has clear potential to do so within 12 months)
Please contact Business Gateway on 01546 604555 if you have any questions about your eligibility for this funding.
You will not be able to access funding if it is likely to have a significant negative impact on other Argyll and Bute based businesses.
You cannot be awarded a grant if you have any debts owing to the Council and a check will be made when you submit your application form.
Download a copy of the application form here. Please read the full Terms and Conditions and eligibility criteria included on the application form before applying
Your fully completed application form, along with any supporting information, should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please add the above email address to your contacts to avoid any correspondence from us being sent to your spam/junk folder. If you do not receive an email acknowledgement from us within 3 working days please check your spam/junk folder.
Once your application has been received, a business adviser from Business Gateway will meet with you by phone or video to discuss your application. Your application will then be passed to a Council officer for approval or rejection. The decision is made by assessing your application form and supporting evidence. You can see the assessment checklist below. Grants will be awarded on a first come first served basis until all funds are allocated. You should receive a decision on your application within 10 working days of meeting the adviser. You will be notified of the outcome by email. Please do not commit to any expenditure for costs listed in your application form before you receive written grant approval.
If your approved costs are less than £3,000, a smaller grant will be paid, up to the maximum value of your approved costs. The size of grant awarded and the number of instalments this will be paid in is based on the value of your approved costs. Examples of grant instalments based on the total value of approved costs are below.
Total grant approved
Instalment 1 (paid on approval)
Instalment 2 (claimed after 3 months)
Instalment 3 (claimed after 6 months)
Where total approved costs are less than £1,000, the total value of the costs approved will be paid in the first instalment. Applicants are required to submit evidence of trading and grant expenditure after 3 and 6 months even if no further instalments are due. The minimum grant value is £500 so your application must include eligible costs of at least £500.
Application approval checklist
Successful applicants must meet all of the following:
- No debts owing to Argyll and Bute Council (checks clear for Council Tax or NDR arrears)
- Micro or small business size
- Based in Argyll and Bute (business premises or residence of business owner)
- Ready to start actively trading for within 4 weeks of date of application OR started actively trading no more than 3 months before date of application (evidenced via cash flow forecast and or income and expenditure on bank statement)
- Able to provide the equivalent of full-time employment for owner or a member of staff at the current Real Living Wage or above or has clear potential to do so within 12 months (evidenced via cash flow forecast)
- The provision of grant support is not expected to have a significant negative impact on other Argyll and Bute based businesses
- Acceptable proof of ID is provided
- Acceptable proof of address is provided
- Acceptable proof of bank account is provided
- Applicant is registered for Council Tax in Argyll and Bute (confirmed by Council checks)
- Acceptable 12 month cash flow forecast is provided, which demonstrates the business is viable (as reviewed by Business Gateway adviser)
- Clear identification of costs for which grant support is sought
- Costs identified are eligible for grant support (not statutory costs, debt repayment, or working capital)
- There is a clear need for grant support
- Any public sector support received within the last 3 years does not exceed the current Subsidy Control limit for SMEs