Building Standards Customer Charter
Putting the customer first
We will try to help all our customers access the service they need or answer their query the first time they contact us. We aim to avoid unnecessary form filling, asking for information that has already been given or needlessly passing the query to colleagues or other organisations.
- to provide good value, efficient and effective services to all our customers.
- to ensure our premises and information are as accessible as possible.
- to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- to be open, honest and accountable for our actions.
- to consult and listen to customers.
- to strive for continuous improvement in our services and processes.
If you contact us by telephone we will:
- Anwer your call promptly - within 20 seconds where possible.
- Give you our name.
- Be polite, friendly and professional.
- Try to resolve your query there and then.
- Help you fill in forms.
- Return calls between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
If you contact us in person we will:
- Have clear signs on Council buildings that deliver the Building Standards service.
- Display our opening hours, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Make every effort to make our offices accessible to everyone.
- Provide somewhere for you to discuss your query in private if you'd prefer.
- Make sure our reception areas are clean and tidy.
- Display up-to-date information in our reception areas.
- Help you fill in forms.
- Wear identification badges.
When we visit you our staff will:
- Visit at a convenient date and time between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Have identification badges.
- Aim to keep to our appointment and if this is not possible or if there is a delay we will inform you as soon as practicable.
If you write, email or fax us we will:
- Acknowledge your enquiry within 3 working days of receiving it.
- Provide a full response to simple queries within 10 working days, or 20 working days for queries which require research. If we can't answer your query in these timescales we'll let you know why.
- Use plain English in our reply and use a format or language which suits your needs.
- Provide the name, telephone number and email address of the person dealing with your enquiry.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS -
Building Warrants and Completion Certificates
Building Standards will strive to provide the following standards of performance at all times, but please note that very large or complex projects may take longer. A more accurate estimate of the expected response times can be discussed with any member of staff at the time of enquiry or submission.
- Respond to applications for Building Warrants within 20 working days where possible.
- Issue Building Warrants within 6 days of receiving all of the relevant information.
- Issue a Completion Certificate acceptance within 3 days of being satisfied that the work complies with the warrant and building regulations.
- Respond to submission of a Completion Certificate within 3 days.
- We publish our complaints procedure on the web site and in leaflets available from our office reception areas.
- We investigate complaints thoroughly and let you know the outcome.
- If we are unable to resolve a complaint immediately we will acknowledge it within 3 working days.