Council Tax

Council Tax is a property based tax payable by the resident, owners or tenants of each property.

Did you know that you can check your account and bill and make payments online?

Sign up for online council tax billing

Details on all the various ways to pay your council tax
Find out all the exemptions and discounts that are all available and how to claim
Tell us if you change address, or about any changes that may affect your council tax
Find out if you are entitled to a reduction, and how to claim
Discounts and charges for long term empty properties
Find out information on how and when you can appeal

Council tax enquiries

Council Tax Bands for 2014 - 15

BandValuation Band *
Council TaxWaterSewerageTotal Scot WaterTotal
A up to £27,000 785.33 126.78 147.12 273.90
B £27,001 – 35,000 916.22 147.91 171.64 319.55 1235.77
C £35,001 – 45,000 1047.11 169.04 196.16 365.20 1412.31
D £45,001 – 58,000 1178.00 190.17 220.68 410.85 1588.85
E £58,001 – 80,000 1439.78 232.43 269.72 502.15 1941.93
F £80,001 – 106,000 1701.56 274.69 318.76 593.45 2295.01
G £106,001 – 212,000 1963.33 316.95 367.80 684.75 2648.08
H over £212,000 2356.00 380.34 441.36 821.70 3177.70

*(based on market value at 01/04/91)

To get details about specific properties, please visit the Scottish Assessors Association website

Water and Sewerage Charges

Argyll and Bute Council is not responsible for setting these charges but is required by law to include these charges in its bill.

The level of the charges is set by the Water Authority and is subject to scrutiny by the Water Industry Commissioner and the Scottish Government.  Please refer to the enclosed leaflet from Scottish Water for further information on the service provided.

Water and sewerage charges are not included in your bill if you have a metered or private water supply and are connected to a private septic tank.  Please contact the Council’s Customer Service Centre on 01546 605511 if you believe you are wrongly charged for water and sewerage.

For more information on water and sewerage rates please visit the Scottish Water Website