Registering a Death in Scotland | Still Births | Deaths Q&As | Burials and Cremation Fees Burials and Crematoria Contacts

How and where do I register a death?

Any death occurring in Scotland should be registered within 8 days of its occurrence by the Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages. Registration can be made at any Registration Office in Scotland.
For further information you can contact your local Registrar.
You can use our 'Tell Us Once' service to let us notify all agencies about a death after your registration.

Who can register a death in Scotland?

The death can be registered by:

  • Any relative of the deceased, or
  • Any person present when the person died, or
  • The deceased's executor or other legal representative, or
  • The occupier of the property where the person died, or if there is no such person,
  • Anyone else who knows the information to be registered.

What documents should I take to the Registrar?

If available you should take with you:

  • The medical certificate of cause of death (form 11);
  • The deceased's birth, marriage, civil partnership certificates if available;
  • The deceased's NHS medical card;

Do not worry if any of these documents are not available as the registrar can still proceed to register the death.
When the registration is complete the registrar will give you, free of charge:

  • A certificate of registration of death for production to the person in charge of the burial ground or crematorium;
  • A Social Security registration of notification of death certificate for use in obtaining or adjusting Social Security benefits.
  • An abbreviated extract (i.e. excluding cause of death and parentage details) of the death entry.
  • You can obtain a full extract of the death entry for a fee of £10.00

Other Useful Information

The Scottish Government booklet “What to do after a death in Scotland” gives practical advice for bereaved people and is widely available in registration offices.  You can also get a copy by telephoning 0131 244 2193.

What if the death occurs abroad?

You should register the death according to local regulations in the country concerned and obtain a certificate of death. You may also be able to register the death with the British Consul in that country for a fee. However, there is no obligation to do so. A record of the death will be sent to Scotland and you will thereafter be able to get a copy from New Register House.